Monday, November 9, 2009

introduction to paper

Back in the early nineteen hundreds, my grandfather, Donald Simon Sr., visited a lake in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York with a friend. He camped there numerous times after that and fell in love with the mountains. When he had some money saved up, Donald bought a piece of property on that same lake. My father was raised on that lake, and I was also brought up on the lake. Ever since I was a small boy, nature amazed me. I continuously questioned my father about the mountains, and the animals that inhabited them. I also enjoyed fishing and was always studying the species that lived in the lake. I could experience deer, black bear, coyote, beaver, porcupine, and countless other species first hand.

When I got to high school and took my first Biology course I knew what I wanted to study in college. Biology is known as the study of living organisms, and that is what I have been interested in since I was so intrigued by everything I experienced growing up in the Adirondack Mountains. Although I no longer live in upstate New York, I visit the cabin every summer to hike, fish, and observe the natural beauty of the region. I decided that I would like to teach or work for the government in a state or national park. I want to teach because I would like to see future generations enjoy the natural world and hopefully preserve it.

After enrolling in college, I have learned that biology is not only about the larger organisms that I am so interested in. Biology includes the living things down to the cellular level. Everything living is composed of cells. Inside of those cells are many organelles and the nucleus. DNA runs these cells and determines what the larger organism will look like and what species it will be a part of. Every living thing has its own unique DNA code, even members of the same species. For this reason, governments have recently been using DNA profiles to fight crime. Anyone taken into custody has a DNA sample taken of him or her, which will become part of a growing National DNA Database (NDNAD). The NDNAD had sparked a large controversy because of an apparent violation of constitutional rights. However, the database is also receiving a large group of supporters because of its ability to help solve crimes.

2 comments:

  1. I never knew you were from New York. Thank God your not a Yankees fan. The field of biology is very wide thats why I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work, Peter. I've been dying to go camping, and your post just made it worse!

    ReplyDelete