Thursday, March 18, 2010

Oxygen

I am oxygen, and am rarely seen alone. Most the time I am with my brother and we form a diatomic pair. We have been all over the continent together, floating from place to place. Oxygen has not set path. Since we make up twenty per cent of the earth’s atmosphere, we don’t really have a single home. We drift staying nowhere very long.

Oxygen is very reactive with other elements like we interact with many other people. It can be said that we have a particular interest in hydrogen when we make water. I have been on the water my whole life. I enjoy being in water, catching fish that live in the water, and drinking water. As oxygen, water plays a vital role in my life. It is not just hydrogen however. Oxygen forms bonds with many other elements. I enjoy making new friends and acquaintances, because everybody has something different to offer, and every bond is a different bond. I can bond to form an oxide with nearly any element or any person. Hydrogen is my favorite; I form one of the strongest bonds known to hydrogen. Its called a hydrogen bond. I share this kind of bond with few people. Only my closest friends and relatives can share a bond such as this with me.

If I were to ever get mixed up with the wrong crowd, such as carbon, my true friends, plants, could take me in and help me shed the awful carbon. They do this so I can once again be myself, a regular oxygen molecule, instead of being bogged down by carbon, making me CO2 where I am of no help to humanity or the animals that live on this planet.

I am the fuel to my own fire. In order for there to be a fire, oxygen must be present. Without oxygen, the fire would go out because fire feeds off of oxygen. By fueling my own fire, I can motivate myself easily, and get done what needs to be done. I also feel that I can motivate other people. I can be the fuel to someone else’s fire. Without my push, the fire might go out.

Oxygen is a common element, but every oxygen is destined for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment