Tuesday, January 19, 2010

What if...

The other night while I was laying in my bed, I got to thinking. As numerous thoughts crossed my mind, I got stuck on one thing. Electricity. I was using my lap top and had my overhead light on when I thought... "What if Thomas Edison had never harnessed the power of electricity?" When I thought more about it I realized how different our world would be without it. However, in the beginning stages of my brainstorm, I just wondered if anybody else would have been able to do what Thomas Edison did. I figured that eventually somebody would look into it and figure it out. Then the question of "If another person harnessed electricity, would they put it into the light bulb?" Who knows what design would have been thought up. It may not be the exact circular bulb seen today or when it was first invented, but I think that it would have been realized that the bulb was the best way to go in the fabrication of it.
I went in another direction also. What if nobody ever invented the light bulb or the ability to use electricity? Our world would be very different. We would not be able to do the simplest task without electricity. If you think about it, nearly everything we use is the product of electricity. Things from our cars to tv to computers to microwaves, and even to the light we use to see at night. We would still be using candles for light. We wouldn't have the internet, or radio. Therefore we would have to get all our information from newspapers or books. It would be a difficult life if we were expected to still maintain a high caliber of education as well as taking ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. If no one ever developed electricity my homework would not be as complicated. I have three things due tomorrow and every one of them is online. I guess an extremely negative side to that would be research papers. They would be awful without the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard an interesting story on NPR about how North Korea has very little electricity and so is remarkably dark at night, even from satellite images. Check it out: http://markhumphrys.com/Bitmaps/north.korea.night.2.jpg

    ReplyDelete